Monday, May 9, 2011

2 Get the scissors, and cut this thread of hope.

I know I don't have a lot of people following, and sometimes I wonder why I even update. Being that this is only my 3rd post, it makes me wonder even more if I've just wasted time designing this site to begin with. Wasting time on things that aren't important. As usual.



So, I was asked if I could help a friend out with some CSS/HTML work on a website she was designing. I had mentioned on my facebook that I was in love with CSS, but never mentioned that I was really any good. I mean, this layout was super easy. Especially with the millions of Blogger layout tutorials out there. I didn't realize that designing a website is so much different than designing a layout for a blog, or something that has pretty much everything laid out for you. I thought it would be easy. Boy was I wrong.

It started with her basically just asking me if I could fix the positioning and stuff of a couple products on one of the pages. I tried what I could, but decided that the CSS was laid out horribly and figured I'd take the time to label each product, in the HTML, so it would be easy for somebody to go back and add or change a product. Well, after wasting all that time of rewriting all of the CSS code and other stuff, she asked to see what I had so far. I had tried getting a friend of mine to help me with it tonight, but I couldn't get a hold of her, probably because she's already in bed. Regardless, I didn't do any of what she asked, I just did what I felt was a good idea. This is so common of me. Focusing too hard on unnecessary things, and not even thinking about the main task that was set originally.

I'm so torn apart by this. I put so much time in it for nothing. She already uploaded the site, and I just went and looked at what she had. She fixed most of the issues she was having, and had already completed most of the rest of the site. It looked a hell of a lot better than mine. I'm in tears right now because I hate disappointing people. I feel like she expected more of me, and also feel like I may have mislead her into thinking that I knew more than I did. Who knows. All I know is I feel like shit. And that's all.

And that's all I have to say right now.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it is making you feel like shit. I did the same thing designing a friends web site, had to totally redo it after I finished because I did the same thing you did. Totally set it up so it'd be easier later and never really finished anything.

    {{{{{{{hugz}}}}}}}

    PS: Miss seeing u on the forums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Rich. <3 Yeah, I don't understand why I do it...It made me more depressed because I started thinking about school and my future career and etc, as well as the past and how this is not uncommon...Focusing on the unimportant shit, that I for some reason feel is more important so it will be easier to do in the future...But then I end up wasting time when I could just do it the way everybody else does, and save time. But there's this undying need to do tedious work to make things easier...The lazy man works the hardest.

    AND NOW. While I was writing this, I found out my friend just got distracted with things...and she was all like "No dude!!! I appreciate you" and stuff. And I feel better. She said I've been the only one who's taken the time and put in the effort to try to help her. Gods, I feel so much better...

    Ok.

    (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

    I'll probably be back on the forums here soon. Been so busy, with everything. Probably when I get home tomorrow or the next day. <3

    ReplyDelete